Ile-de-la-Visitation is a small island on the Prairies Coast, also known as Branchereau Island until 1750. It is located in North Montreal, in the Ahuntsic-Cartierville neighbourhood. It is a Natural Park extending over 34 hectares and it includes the historical site of Sault-au-Récollet. The island also includes some waterway installations of Cheval-de-Terre island and a vast wooden area.
The Natural Park of Ile-de-la-Visitation was created in 1984 during the renovation works of the power plant of the Prairies Coast. The trails in the woods offer pleasant views of the Saint Lawrence river in between the historical sites of the island. You will find here the milling site, the Maison du Pressoir (Press House) and the Maison du Meunier (Miller’s House). Between 1724 and 1726, engineer Simon Sicar built the dam and the sawmill. He also built a stone mill for grinding maize, and another one for carding wool.
The woods on the island offers hiking trails and bike trails with relaxing views over the water.
At the end of the island, there is a terrace overlooking the dam. The view is simply spectacular, especially seeing the difference in the level of the water. Finally, a bridge leads back to the entrance of the park.